diss print

IMG_3098

Finally after so much toil and trouble I was lucky enough for a printers locally to answer my call and print this dissertation design for me, However due to their lack of staff because of the current global pandemic. I was not able to get the exact print format I had envisioned, a perfectly bound book was my optimal goal but I think this turned out beuaitful anyways.

IMG_3107IMG_3109IMG_3117IMG_2924

Thanks to my family for helping me capture the imagry for the final printed designs.

IMG_3124

updated designs

Following feedback from Ian on my final itteration I experimented with colours and the refreshing of the colour pallet, as although the design was minimal It did lack some visual flair to encorage the reader to read further and refresh the pace and flow of the document.

Not all of the suggestions were followed to the letter though, as Ian suggested I rethink the body text. I didnt want to do this as my document is meant to be for the modern age and I feel like sticking to the tradition of serif fonts for body text. Although in some peoples view makes it more legible, in the information age people are now trained to read sans-serif fonts all day digitally. And i wanted to take advantage of the time and the user expertise by sticking to the sans-serif fonts already chosen.

Logo_2

However I did rethink the cover imagry and font choice, this still reveals the open source nature of the content. I also followed Ians advice and added a red highlight colour, I choose red as it is alarming and appealing. By design it is meant to encorage the reader to understand why is it highlighted and what is revealed within.

Final_design

Final_design4

Final_design3

Dissertation Design

IMG_2980

I really loved writing my dissertation and found it an incredibly valuable teaching tool, in how to academically look at an idea and research and understand the idea from all angles. When converting my dissertation to design format I was confident in my design ideals, I wanted a stripped back document that didnt overpower the body text as this was the whole purpose of the document.

Initial_DesignInitial_Design2

For the cover image the intial designs were extremly minimal to follow the design inside. Both designs play on the ‘open’ idealology of the open source model.

Logo-8TFOOSF_Logo_2

Penguin final updates

Although now long past the deadline I still had some things id like to change, so I did. Also I needed to create a mockup for my Portfolio. The changes made were very minimal because I enjoyed the original so much, I ensured everything was aligned correctly and ensured the boxes had space around the lettering, again ensuring the alignments were perfect.

Mockup2Mockup

observation posted

After my some feedback on my posters it was clear the idea was solid but the excecution needed work, they didnt give enough context and didnt reveal any underlying message. I toiled over the posters for a while and struggled to grip this underlying message.

IMG_2950

I did some sketches in my notebook of some icon or imagry which could be revealed underneath.This lead me to develop two icons which then became focal points of both the posters and my editorial design. They are both meant to be slightly off of perfection so as to upset the brain and make the user realise by viewing them they are unperfect.

Poster eyes

For the editorial outcome, I went around Cardiff to photograph the cameras I saw and attempted to make each photograph a unique pallet composition and style. I really loved this part of the project and I am incredibly proud of the photographs taken. David agreed and said their should be more use for the photography and asked me to introduce another element to the project. This is where the photography became posters that would intrudce the observer to the project. The intial posters are shown above but feedback revealed they lacked context and meaning beyond the camera imagry.

The idea of the posters is that the black image is shown first then upon interaction the full image is revealed beneath, thus showing the viewer the affect of observation first hand. This idea then blossomed into a Virtual Reality theory, after learning the basic functions and tools of Unity 3d a working prototype was developed but due to COVID the posters were never able to be produced.

Instead David suggested I develop an animation.

eye element

Observe_initial_2_2223

IMG_2963

In the second version of the editorial piece I started to reveal pull out quotations, however the feedback revealed that although they were visable they were not as loud and proud as they should be.

Observe5_2223

In the next version I combined the now updated branding with the yellow highlight, to really pull out some of the quotes to their needed volume. This one is special as research showed that London is one of the most observed places on Earth outside of China. But the Metripolitan police themselves reveal the actual usefullness of the cameras.

branding eyes

71l-s9DwQ3L._AC_SL1500_

Using the sign seen across the UK as inspiration I was encouraged to develop a more unifying brand for my project one that could sit across each page and tie the project together.

IMG_2949

Using the already established logo and colour pallet inspiration from the warning signs, I devloped a collection of observing eyes with interchangable perspectives. Theese were then used to highlight text and guide the reader through the document.

Reveal